Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 10 - Mmmm Energy Bites & Apple Snacks!

Breakfast: Oatmeal pumpkin muffin (click here for the recipe)
Snack: orange, honey vanilla greek yogurt
Lunch: turkey & cheese (thin colby jack) sandwich on whole wheat bread with hummus, raspberries, celery & peanut butter.
Snack: 2 energy bites --see recipe below
Dinner: leftover garlic-crusted chicken from last night on bread & grilled with hummus & some cheese (thin colby jack) and carrots
Snack: Edy's fruit bar, apple protein snack --see recipe below


My Dinner!


So... I'm sure you've probably noticed, but I do lack variety when it comes to my lunches. I tend to be a bit of a sandwich freak & I have my favorite. I prefer my sandwiches grilled, however, I keep my panini & sandwich press at home. If you don't have one, I highly suggest it if you are a sandwich person like me. If you have any good sandwich recipes, please let me know so I can mix it up a bit... add some variety to my lunches to excite you people a bit more!

Exercise: Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance, Insanity Cardio Abs, Plank work

OOFDA... today's workout was tough!! My arms are like jello. I could hardly lift my glass of water afterwards. Now thats how you know you had a good workout!!! :D




So... I was just reading another blog that I LOVE to read daily and came across Courtney's story & got a bit of a reality check. I haven't been a very healthy eater up to this point in my life and I've always obsessed over my weight and my body. I'm sure some of you can relate. Well... I've definitely had times in my life where I've skipped a few meals here and there or a few days in a row & worked out extra hard to lose those pounds right before a big event. Well I vow to myself right now to never do that again. I never realized how hard that was on my body until now. Have you ever heard of Hypothalamic Amenorrhea?? Well neither had I until I read Courtney's storyBasically, it’s a condition where menstruation stops for several months due to a problem involving the hypothalamus in the brain. The cause of HA can be a combination of heavy exercise, as well as not feeding your body the nutrients that it needs. That's scary!!

So... you people out there that are starving your body of nutrients & over exercising to drop those extra pounds...STOP! That could be you with HA. I don't think you want that. I'm definitely not where I want to be with my body but I'm getting there & I'm not obsessing over my weight as much as I used to. (HEY... I can't change overnight) BTW... I lost 3 pounds since I started my blog and & my healthy lifestyle change. GO ME! (not obsessing... not obsessing...) lol... ;) Hope you people out there joining me in my journey are also seeing some results!


Anyhow...today I am going to share with you one of my favorite snack recipes!!! It is so simple and super delicious. You won't be able to have just 1 so I'd suggest that you double the batch, as specially if these are for more than a couple of people! Check out the recipe below!



{ No-Bake Energy Bites }



(makes 18-20 bites)
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

recipe from http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.ca/2011/08/no-bake-energy-bites-recipe.html

{ Apple Protein Snack }


This recipe is for a bulk amount of this protein mixture... If you just want a small amount for 1 apple, just do one scoop of protein and a a few shakes of the rest. Then adjust as needed.
If you're craving apple pie or apple crisp, this is a great snack!! It will fill your craving. Super yummy!

Ingredients:
1 apple
7 scoops of protein powder --I used vanilla
3-4 tablespoons of cinnamon 
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of ginger
1 teaspoon of nutmeg 

Directions:
Cut up an apple. Put the cut up apples in a baggie or container and add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the protein mixture and shake them up.  

recipe from http://www.thecottagesisters.com/2011/11/favorite-snack.html

No comments:

Post a Comment